Hand-fed baby birds simply make wonderful, loving and affectionate companions. The act of hand-feeding helps create a bond between the baby bird and people. When purchasing a companion bird, always ask if the bird was hand-fed.
If you have never been formally trained in hand-feeding a baby bird, it is best to purchase a baby bird that has been weaned and is eating on its own. If you are interested in hand-feeding babies, it is important to receive training from someone who is experienced. Hand-feeding of baby birds has certain risks to the animal if not properly administered and should only be done by competent individuals.
KAYTEE exact Hand-Feeding Formula is a nutritious diet for hand-feeding baby birds. Exact's high nutrition formula helps baby birds grow faster, wean earlier and develop better, brighter plumage.
Hand-Feeding Information for Breeders
- It is extremely important to follow the directions completely and thoroughly.
- KAYTEE exact® Hand-Feeding Formula is mixed with hot, clean water to a desired consistency.
- Feed the hungry baby with a special hand-feeding syringe.
- Hatchlings must be fed about every two hours.
- The number of feedings decrease and the amount of food increases as the baby grows.
- Baby birds require 10-12 percent of their body weight per feeding.
- Use fresh formula at each feeding.
- Use proper hygiene.
- Monitor babies daily for growth and health.
Depending on species, most birds wean between the ages of 8 and 12 weeks. For more information on weaning please read the articles Weaning Tips and When Will My Baby Bird Start Weaning from Hand-Feeding to Adult Food?