If you've adopted a rabbit recently, check out this information on housing, diet and general care to ensure you provide the safest and most comfortable home for your rabbit. Our Rabbit Care Guide will help you make the right choices with tips and advice on how to care for your pet rabbit and how to keep it healthy and happy.
Quick care Facts
Life span: 7-10 years
Experience level of owner: intermediate
Special diet requirements: high fiber (14-17%)
Recommended owner age: older children- adults
Rabbits should have a safe and secure habitat away from direct sunlight and drafts. It is important your habitat has enough room for your rabbit to eat, sleep and play. Rabbits love extra room to roam so they will benefit from a play yard that is a safe and secure exercise area. Consider connecting multiple Kaytee® Open Living™ habitats to increase your pet’s living area. Your rabbit’s habitat should be cleaned at least once a week.
Rabbits are considered herbivores in nature, which means they primarily feed based on grasses and plants. AS household pets, make sure to feed diets high in fiber to support their overall health. Kaytee fortified foods are uniquely formulated to ensure your rabbit gets all the nutrients it needs to be healthy and happy. Kaytee treats are ideal for playtime and perfect for interacting and bonding with your pet rabbit. Also, make sure to provide fresh water daily and unlimited Timothy Hay!
- Rabbits are crepuscular, which means they are most active at dawn and dusk
- Rabbits are pretty smart; they can be trained to go to the bathroom in a litter box!
- If a rabbit is younger than 6 months (juvenile), it is recommended they eat Alfalfa Hay
- If a male and female are housed together, they can have litters of 4 to 10 bunnies
- As pets, same-sex pairs work well if spayed or neutered
- Rabbits teeth continually grow. Provide your pet a variety of chew textures, toys, and hay to help keep teeth trim
Supplies for Your Rabbit
- Kaytee Habitat such as Open Living or the My First Home Rabbit Starter Kit
- Kaytee rabbit food such as Food From the Wild, Timothy Complete, Fiesta, or Forti-Diet Pro Health
- Timothy Hay
- Food dish and hay feeder
- Water bottle
- Clean & Cozy paper bedding
Suggested Items to Add On:
- Litter pan
- Kaytee Critter Litter
- Chew toys
- Kaytee clean cage habitat deodorizer spray
- Hideout such as Kaytee natural tree trunk hideout
- Pro nail trimmer
- Pro slicker brush